Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back to the Freezing Cold

Well California was wonderful, but life must go on, right? I'll do a post later about the trip, when Mom gets back from Utah and I can (if I'm tech savvy enough) download a few video clips. Mom got bumped in Utah twice, Rita three times, so while I have to go to school, they are loading up the cash. No fair!

My goal this semester is to be much more optimistic. Although I'm doing okay, I must admit that it sounded easier when I was not in school. During Physics I almost lost it completely. But I'm so close to being done, I just love to think, "one more semester...and I never have to take high school English again." That really cheers me up.

I finished Beyond the Chocolate War over break. It wasn't that spectacular, I was bummed. It wasn't bad, but compared to the first book it was disappointing, so I don't reccomend it. I do reccomend The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. It's a short, quick read but I really enjoyed it. Micah gave me a compilation of C.S. Lewis works for Christmas, so I'm excited about working my way through them.

Another positive thing about my life is that we're actually studying poetry that I enjoy and appreciate in English class. The poet is Elizabeth Bishop, and she writes about real issues, using real words that people can connect with, like "dentist's office" or "oil-soaked". No namby-pamby poetry abstract garbage, which is nice. She reminds me a lot of Sophie Hannah, I love her stuff as well.

I get to go to Homer for thier Take-Off next weekend, and I am SO excited! They've even invited me to their dance. This sounds weird, but I'm really jazzed to put my official dress on again, it feels like it's been forever. I love FFA trips.

I really need to go to bed now. Class Act is singing tomorrow at the Mental Health Conference, should be good. It's a pretty big gig, we get to skip school and go into Anchorage and everything.

One photo tonight, just to practice putting pictures up in the right spot.


Alaska State Officers with a California delegate at the Wrangler Dinner

1 comment:

Calvin Smooth said...

come on. school does not get any better after high school. so there is no reason to "lose it". on the downside you could be in Ochem.